Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal of the day and I’m always on the hunt for easy but exciting recipes to try out. Whether its smoothies, quesadilla or muffins I cannot resist an exciting breakfast! Recently I’ve been loving overnight oats- they’re super easy to prepare the night before for a quick breakfast the next morning for when you’re in a rush. (Which I am- most mornings!)
But what are overnight oats? I hear you ask. The cold alternative to oatmeal, overnight oats are a mixture of oats, milk, yogurt and other fruits and flavourings that thicken in a jar in the fridge overnight. They are delicious, healthy and can be so varied in flavours! And best of all, they’re so simple to make!
I’m going to share with you my current favourite- my recipe for blackberry pie overnight oats. It’s worth mentioning, however, that the blackberries can easily be substituted out for any other pie-filling fruit of your choosing- blueberries, strawberries, apple or even pumpkin- you name it!
Blackberry Pie Overnight Oats
For the compote:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the oats:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tbsp flaxseed
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- ½ tbsp compote
- For the compote: In a small saucepan over low heat combine the blackberries, water, honey and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and let simmer and thicken, stirring occasionally.
- For the oats: Put the oats, milk and yoghurt into a jar and stir to combine. Add the vanilla extract, honey, and flaxseed, stirring the oats after each additional ingredient. Finally, add the frozen blackberries and the compote, stirring once more to ensure that everything is thoroughly combined. Screw the lid on the jar, shake and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove the oats from the refrigerator and top with some more compote and blackberries. The oatmeal can be eaten out of the jar or can be taken out of it and eaten from a bowl.
I hope you love this delicious overnight oatmeal as much as I do!