A habit I’ve developed over the past couple of months is to speak words of truth over myself. I get it- that sounds pretty weird. But hear me out, okay?
Since I’ve started Not So Perfect, I’ve felt like I’ve had to put myself ‘out-there’ a bit more and make myself more vulnerable. I’ve also been more active on social media- something which can be difficult at the best of times. And although I’m pretty confident about myself, I’m definitely not perfect by any standards, and so, at times, it’s been tough.
Anyway, something I have found really helpful whilst I’ve been getting the blog started has been to remind myself what the Lord says about me. Speaking His words over myself comforts me daily, strengthens me and builds me up.
This is so powerful in other aspects of my life too- not just to do with the blog and social media. For example, I like to remind myself of Jeremiah 29:11 whenever I feel worried about my future (at least 5 times a week haha)!
‘“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”’ Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
This doesn’t just apply to me though- reminding yourself of God’s immense love for you is so beautiful and pure. It is so uplifting, and when you really take to heart and believe something you read, it can make huge differences in your life and how you feel about yourself.
In this post, I want to encourage you to try this. Speaking His truth over my life has had such a massive impact. I don’t always manage to do it every day (my routine is far from perfect), but even reading these truths a few times a week is so uplifting and affirming.
To get you started, I want to share a couple of my go-to’s (all NIV translation):
- ‘Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-’ John 1:12 This one is written on an envelope stuck on the back of my door. I love being reminded that the God who spoke the world into existence loves me as His Child.
- ‘For I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.’ Romans 8:38-39 This is one of my absolute favourite bible verses because of the degree that Paul goes to in order to convince us of the sheer enormity of God’s love for us, and how nothing at all in existence can separate us from that love.
- ‘God is within her, she will not fall.’ Psalms 46:5 This truth is so simple, yet so, so beautiful. God is with me, and with that knowledge, I will be able to face anything.
- ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.’ Jeremiah 1:5 This is so powerful- before we were born, God knew us, and he made a plan for us.
- ‘I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made’ Psalm 139:14 Another powerful one- God made us, and we are wonderful!
I hope that these truths will encourages and uplifts you, and reminds you of the greatness of His love for you.
P.S. The title to this blog post was inspired by a worship song that I like- Who You Say I Am by Hillsong Worship. It is just a beautiful song filled with truth- here is the link if you want to listen to it!